On 29th September 2022, Dharamsala-based Central Tibetan Administration (aka Tibetan Government-in-exile) issued a Statement affirming its position on the issue of the Dalai Lama’s reincarnation.
In its Statement, the Kashag of the Central Tibetan Administration, said, “The system of recognising reincarnated spiritual beings is a religious practice unique to Tibetan Buddhism. The fundamental thought behind this philosophy is to accept the principle of life after death.
“No government nor any individual has the right to interfere in this matter.”
For full statement, please see below and visit the CTA’s website.
Kashag’s Position on the Issue of Reincarnation of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
The government of the People’s Republic of China adopted the so-called law on ‘Management Measures for the Reincarnation of Living Buddhas in Tibetan Buddhism’, in 2007. Since then, the PRC has taken over the management of all monastic administrations and in particular, took complete control over the power to recognise reincarnated Lamas/Living Buddhas, and continue to use it to meet their political ends.
Moreover, the PRC government, in real-time, conducts workshops, discussion forums, talk shows and uses various means to promote a false narrative on the issue of reincarnation in general; and on the reincarnation of the present Dalai Lama in particular. These activities are conducted on all the ordained and laity throughout Tibet.
It is also a fact that the issue of reincarnation of His Holiness the Dalai Lama continues to be discussed within our community and without as well. Therefore, The Kashag/Cabinet of the Central Tibetan Administration felt the need to present this Position Paper for everyone’s information.
- The Kashag has firm belief that His Holiness will live to the ripe age of 113 as per propitious prescient and the repeated assurances of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
- The system of recognising reincarnated spiritual beings is a religious practice unique to Tibetan Buddhism. The fundamental thought behind this philosophy is to accept the principle of life after death.
- While extending our sincere appreciation and thankfulness to those freedom-loving democratic countries around the world, including the United States of America for their complete endorsement of His Holiness’s thoughts on this matter; we will pursue with due diligence to obtain similar support from as many like-minded countries as possible.
- With regards to the reincarnation of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, His Holiness’s repeated statements since 1969, the official pronouncement of September 24, 2011, or any guidance in future is inherently discretionary. No government nor any individual has the right to interfere in this matter.
- This religious activity has to be conducted as per the responsibilities that His Holiness the Dalai Lama enshrines and entrusts. We have full confidence in the leadership of the Central Tibetan Administration at the time to take responsibility as entrusted.
- The Kashag is in the process of working on other related matters that need to be addressed concerning this issue.
May all be assured.
Central Tibetan Administration (link to the original article)